Skip to main content

Fathers Day

Today is the day Hallmark has required all of us to honor the men who contributed half our DNA. I don't need a day for that. Dad rocks it every day. And he knows it. I tell him that often - especially since he mows my lawn every Monday, hammers stuff into my walls, rescues me when the basement floods and takes me to lunch every other week.
I got lucky.
He's coming over later (w/ Mom, obv) to have dinner. Steak, corn on the cob and potato salad. I think that works as a good celebration for him as an amazing hero, role model, pool boy. Also some sort of an ice cream sandwich layered with other ice cream flavors cake-thingy that is taking up space in the freezer and is hopefully edible. It is ice cream. How can that not be edible?
Thinking about what makes Dad amazing, I have to start with two words. Patient and kind. Neither is more important than the other, they are both equally my dad. Resourceful also works. Skilled makes the list. Funny. Smart. Gentle. Calm.
I'm glad I inherited a few of those qualities. I am kind. Ish. I let bygones be bygones. I help people in need. I care about tiny animals that dart across the street dodging traffic Frogger-style.
I'm also smart. Again. Ish. I get "it" before many people do. I can do math - simple and real math, not that common core bullshit they are teaching these days. I can spell. I usually know when a word is misspelled, so I concur with Microsoft's jagged red line more than question it. And I use words in their correct context, understand the rules of apostrophes and know it's is not its.
Qualities I didn't inherit include patience and calm. I don't understand the meaning in those words. I wish, desperately, that I could practice both of them, but alas. Patience and calm are not my virtues. I would be a much better person if they were. But they aren't. Moving on.
Time to go make potato salad - Dad's on his way over. And since I have no patience and am not skilled, he'll grill the steaks.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I do have a blog

Wow. Look what happens when your friends guilt you (in a good way) to joining the 21st Century: You find out you joined almost two years ago and forgot about it. Either I'm a trend setter or am going insane. You pick. So...here I am. I'm avoiding homework, which is becoming my newest hobby - and I'm very good at it. My final is due Friday. I have plenty of time. Hours. And, thanks to the birthday party last week, a few bottles of wine. With wine and hours, if I can't pull out a comparison between tainted corned beef and New Orleans' levee breaks, no one can. Alright. Here I am. Again.

Absolutely nothing

Summer is over, or so it would appear as I look out my window and see clouds and know it's an autumnal 57 degrees. What a word, autumnal. No one I know ever uses that word in real conversation. Seemed appropriate here though. Autumnal... hmmm... School starts tomorrow and I have a sense of dread going into it. Anytime the professor sends an email the Friday before class that basically says "Hold on to your hats, it's gonna be a bumpy ride" I get a tad nervous. He calls the course demanding and challenging. Crap! I really am not in the mood for demanding and challenging at the moment. But I've read 3 of the 30 pages I'm supposed to read by Wednesday. The discussion board has due dates for every post and it appears I am going to be a busy gal. Crapola. I'm still feeling restless about me. I want to do something but I don't know what that something is. I don't even know if it has to be something important or mundane. Maybe I just need a t...

Commando - not the cheesy movie

There's something about not wearing underwear that makes you appreciate kegel exercises. Today I went commando. No big deal. People do it all the time. I've dated two guys who thought underwear was a two-word question. But when you're not wearing panties - or gramma undies - or a thong - or boy shorts - or hipsters - or tap pants - and you're talking to the boss and there's that little voice in your head that goes "Naughty girl!" (my little voice sounds like Austin Powers), and then you sneeze, well... that's when you say a quick thank you to Dr. Kegel for figuring out that squeeze thing. See, I have to do laundry. I've had to do laundry for a couple days. I figured that out when yesterday I realized I would have to wear the most uncomfortable pair of hooker underwear I own. I figured it would be OK; I've worn them before, just not to work. And not all day. Uh, no. Trust me when I say that piece of lace isn't made to actually be on for mor...